Reagan’s Online Newspaper Wins National Pacemaker Award

The Recorder, Reagan High School’s online newspaper, won a National Scholastic Press Association Online Pacemaker Award out of 136 competitors and 36 finalists.

The honor was presented to the newspaper staff and faculty adviser Monique Sandoval at the 2011 JEA/NSPA Spring National High School Journalism Convention in Anaheim, CA.

“This is the equivalent of a Pulitzer Prize for scholastic journalism,” Sandoval said.

The 2011 NSPA Online Pacemaker Contest saw a 25 percent increase in entries from the 2010 contest. A team of new media experts at the Minnesota Star Tribune judged all 166 entries holistically based on content, design, writing and editing, rich media and breaking news.

According to the NSPA student press blog, the top sites set themselves apart by succeeding on the dimensions of excellent photography, compelling writing, design outside of the web template and effective use of multimedia.

In addition to the annual national award, the Recorder also received tenth place “Best of Show” at the convention in Anaheim. In this competition, all entered scholastic online media is judged and a small percentage is awarded to the best of the convention.

The Pacemaker is a first-time honor for the Recorder staff, however the online newspaper won fourth place “Best of Show” in the Fall 2010 national convention in Kansas City, MO . The printed paper has won a seventh place “Best of Show” award for the April 2009 Special Art Edition.

NSPA is a nonprofit organization founded in 1921 for high school and secondary school publications in the United States. The association is membership-based and annually hosts high school journalism conventions across the country. The NSPA is considered to be one of the most prestigious award bodies in high school journalism.

To view Reagan’s award winning online newspaper website please visit http://newspaper.neisd.net/reagan