By Nakya Mesa Diaz
A great way to start your three day weekend is by creating a cheap, fun, and a easy Easter decoration.
By following these simple step you will be able to construct an eye pleasing, yet edible, center piece.
1 6-inch pot
1 7-inch Styrofoam ball (for topiary top)
1 4-5 inch Styrofoam chunk (for inside the pot)
1 12-inch wooden stake or thick wooden dowel
1 box of wooden toothpicks
6-7 boxes of marshmallow Peeps
1 bag of jelly beans
Directions to assemble the topiary top:
A good way to take advantage of your extra day off is by making an amazing yet creative Peep Topiary.
1. First start by picking your work space since it’s going to get covered by sugar. Gather all your ingredients together on or near your work space.
2. Poke the stake or dowel into the Styrofoam ball. Try to insert it into the center of ball.
3. Give it a quick check to be sure you’re happy with the way it looks.
4. Finally wedge a piece of Styrofoam, cut from a larger piece for a snug fit, in the bottom of the pot. You want it to be really tight, so it doesn’t move at all. This is going to anchor your peep topiary.
Directions to cover the ball with Peeps:
1. To begin, set the ball in the flower pot, so you can work on the center of the topiary.
2. Poke 3 toothpicks into the ball in a triangle, about an inch apart from each other. Insert each one of them about halfway into the ball. This is going to be the center of your topiary.
3. Insert 10 toothpicks in a large circle around the triangle. Make them about an inch or so apart. Don’t make yourself nuts with precise spacing; you’ll be able to adjust them later if you have gaps.
4. In order for this to function do the outer ring first. Stick one Peep onto a toothpick , do it so that the toothpick goes through the center of the Peep, up through his head. This will give him the strongest anchor.
5. Smoosh the peep down gently to be sure it sticks. With the intention to make a successful Peep topiary each ring should contain the same color Peep.
6. Repeat with the rest of the Peeps.
7. Next, do the center
8. Nestle them together. If you need to, remove and readjust the toothpicks so that there are no (or very few) gaps.
9. Then do the rest of the ball; you’re basically going to place each layer of Peeps in between the Peeps on the previous layer.
10. Finally after you’ve covered one side of the ball, it’s time to put it in the pot. Insert it into the stake or dowel into the center of the Styrofoam in the flower pot. Stick it down far enough so that the topiary stands upright and is stable.
11. Work your way around the ball, alternating rows of Peeps until the entire ball is covered.
**NOTE: Some of your Peeps may fall off the very bottom of the ball. When the whole ball is covered, they do a nice job of sticking together and holding in place. However, if you do lose a few to gravity ,that’s just fine. When the whole thing is complete, the bottom of the ball is actually very hard to see.
Directions to finish the Peep topiary:
1. Cover the Styrofoam with colored tissue paper or a few paper towels.
2. Pour in the jelly beans to cover the top of the Styrofoam.
And now you have a completed Easter treat canter piece.