Varsity Soccer Players Score a Promising Future

Ashley Patterson, Contributor

Five members of LEE High School’s varsity soccer team were signed to play with their future colleges on Wednesday, Feb. 2, 2021. This event took place in the gym with faculty, staff, administrators, coaches, parents, teammates, and friends in attendance to celebrating the hard work and dedication shown by these talented athletes.

For many, the idea of playing college sports would be a dream come true. It was a dream that was realized for seniors Gavin Seesholtz, Henry Bowland, Joey Batrouni, Isela Zertuche, and Jenevieve Jackson. “I feel blessed to have the opportunity to further my athletic career beyond high school,” Jackson said. “It’s a feeling of accomplishment that all my hard work has allowed me to sign with a school like Rice University.”

Achieving this goal took years of dedication, early morning practices and games in the freezing cold, sticking with the sport through community leagues, club leagues, middle school and high school, overcoming injuries and disappointing seasons, but finally their efforts were rewarded. “It’s a real dream come true to be the first out of my family to attend college and a great opportunity for me to prove myself at the collegiate level to show that I’ve got what it takes,” Batrouni said.

Saying goodbye to these players in June will be bittersweet, but they will surely continue to be a wonderful example of Volunteer spirit as they move on to the next exciting phase of their lives. “I am looking forward to new challenges in athletics, academics, and my social life which will help me grow as a person, help me better understand who I am, and what I want to accomplish in life,” Seesholtz said.