Blood drive brings in 63 units

| December 18, 2017

By Axel Meza and Phabian Villanueva | Photo by Mayra Gallegos |

On Dec. 13 student council hosted a blood drive held to aid those in need of blood. This blood drive was a great way to help others who have been injured in recent tragedies like the hurricanes and mass shootings shootings. A total of 63 units of blood were donated to help those in need of blood.

Senior Erica Olvera donates blood. Photo by Mayra Gallegos, Big Stick Editor

“It’s for a good cause, it helps people who lost blood during the recent hurricanes and other emergencies that have happened here in the US,” junior Chetara Anderson said. “I’m doing this because I have family that could use blood. Anyone who is willing to donate can and should donate.”

According to South Texas Blood and Tissue Center staff, after the blood is donated, it goes to a hospital it is checked for any diseases that can be harmful to the person receiving blood. Usually the process for “purifying” blood takes a while, but after its tests it is used for medicinal use.

In addition to the fact that each pint can save three lives, donating a pint of blood equals to 650 calories burned; that’s more than 30 mins of running! Type O negative donors are universal, so their blood can be given to everyone. 

Tags:

About the Author ()

This is the online newspaper for Theodore Roosevelt High School in San Antonio, Texas. Our students work hard to bring you stories about our campus and community. We hope you enjoy visiting our website.