Spotlight: NESA Instrumental Music

Kaitlin Arocho, Editor-in-Chief

On Thursday, Sept. 30, NESA’s Instrumental Music majors had their first concert of the year. The concert consisted of twelve songs, ranging from classical “Sonata No. 8, Op. 13” by Beethoven to the more mainstream classic “Isn’t She Lovely” by Stevie Wonder.

The concert had five piano solos, five collective orchestra pieces, one acoustic guitar solo, and one song played on a set of drums, keyboard, and electric guitar.

“There were a few mistakes, but it’s the first concert of the year. “I mean, overall it was good,” Instrumental Music director Johnathan Martienez said. Although said mistakes were not noticeable to those who haven’t studied such music. Overall consensus is that the concert was absolutely amazing.

A little over a week after their first concert some of the musicians helped out the Creative Writers in their Cross Major Show: Lore on Oct. 9, playing alongside the reading of some pieces, or playing transition music between pieces.

The orchestra will also play each night of An American in Paris, which is the first Musical Theater show of the year and the only one of this semester. Opening night is Nov. 5.

Looking ahead to next semester, Instrumental Music majors will hold a chamber music concert on Jan. 6, 2022, their film concert on April 7, 2022, and a Senior Showcase on May, 19, 2022.

“I’m excited for the chamber concert, because it’s a chance for me to work with people outside of my section and perform different types of music,” said Ella Flister (12).