Tuition Turmoil

Julissa Duran, Staff Reporter

College is expensive. There is no denying that fact. Every year teens across the U.S. are encouraged to pursue post-secondary education, and while many are eager to, others have a hard time deciding what to do and where to go because of the financial commitment they are expected to make. 

On January 9, 2022, educationdata.org reported the average cost of college tuition and fees has risen 179.2% over the past 20 years. With the rising prices of tuition amongst housing and everyday expenses, it’s becoming more and more difficult for lower-income students to live comfortably. As of 2023 38% of the college dropout rate was due to students no longer being able to afford it. 

It’s an unfortunate reality that in order to make a comfortable living, one must first attend college. Post-secondary education ensures a stable income, but to get to that many students have to struggle in the meantime. A survey done in 2020 found that 1 in 3 of the student participants dealt with food insecurity. 

Additionally, students that come from low economic backgrounds or are unsure of what they want to pursue, avoid going to college altogether. They have it engraved in their heads that they either can’t afford to go or believe it’d be a waste of money as they aren’t sure they’d even enjoy what they choose to go for. 

Understandably, some may be a bit wary of the notion. People often raise concerns regarding the impact it may have on taxes, along with the possible decrease in faculty and staff wages and overall quality of education. Fortunately, there is a middle ground that can be found between the two. 

Rather than offering free tuition for every post-secondary institution in the nation, the US can offer it for community colleges and select public state universities. This solution makes college accessible as it offers free tuition while also limiting any repercussions that may occur. 

Offering free tuition will open a door for millions of people across the country. Not only will it be easier to obtain degrees, but it will increase opportunities for both businesses and the government as well. Both the unemployment and poverty rate will decrease, and there will be a new wave of people entering the workforce bringing in their knowledge and personal skills.