I’m with the Bandz

Silly Bandz: they’re the latest items on the market to take the world by storm. What started as an idea for a more eco-friendly rubber band turned into a fashion phenomenon. First designed in 2002 and sold online in 2008, Silly Bandz have become so popular, they have even been banned in classrooms for being too distracting.

For those who are unaware on what these trendy novelties are, they’re plastic bands that serve the function of a bracelet when worn, but revert into an odd shape when taken off. They come in dozens of shapes and sizes, and are often worn many at a time or traded for collection. The high demand for Silly Bandz is apparent on campus, as many students continue to wear numerous amounts of them both on their wrists and ankles. Yasmine Lainez, a sophomore, is one of the many people recently drawn to this rubber epidemic.

Silly Bandz are this year's must have wrist wear.

“I remember seeing a swim team member wearing a duck bracelet, and I wanted one. I didn’t know it was a craze at the time,” Lainez said.

The easy accessibility of this in-style product has made it easy for Lainez to follow the ever-growing Silly Bandz movement.

“I bought two whole packs, and so far I’ve shared them with my friends. Now I only have a few left,” she said.

Of course the variety of band styles influences her decision on which ones to wear on a particular day.

“I have a stingray, a swimmer stroking, an alien from Toy Story, as well as a chili from none other than Chili’s. There’s so many out there,” Yasmine said.

With the increase in the number on Silly Bandz wearers in the high school environment, this particular item is one to stay around for quite some time.

About olivia-suarez

Hey I'm Olivia! I'm currently a senior at Mac. My favorite things include singing, reading, writing, dancing and learning! I'm the Editor-in-Chief of the student newspaper, Brahma Tales, NHS Parliamentarian, and a reporter/photographer for yearbook. I also attend Girls Bible Study and Younglife every week. I'm very outgoing and I love to be around everyone!