Editor’s Note: Take Risks, Not Regrets

It seems like most high school students are at a crossroads nowadays, from balancing grades, preparing for college, and maintaining close friendships, to undergoing the transistion from an adolescent into a young adult. During this whirlwind process, students are often stuck at a standstill on what decision to act on next. The suggestion I have to offer? Take chances. The risk is often worth it.

This doesn’t mean it’s okay to make obvious bad choices. However, one cannot fully get to where they want to be without that first step. As teenagers, we struggle to not only act on what’s considered right, but also to stick with that the rest of the way. Fear, whether it’s in the form of rejection or failure, is often holding us back. What is it about fear that makes us give up on the pursuit on our true desires? It may not be the easiest thing to push aside, but it’s also not a physical obstacle, that’s for sure.

Of course taking chances has its possibilities of being successful or failing miserably. But that’s the beauty of it. If we knew what the result of our risk was in advance, there wouldn’t be a drive to act on instinct.

Photo by Adriana Nelson

I guess I say this based off of personal experience. A few months ago, I faced conflict of being upfront with others. It was during the time of Prom, and with a long history of going to events like this alone, I decided to do something different. Completely unaware what was going to happen next, I asked one of my closest friends to be my date. Needless to say, it was one of the best decisions I have ever made. I can’t imagine what would’ve happened had I not acted on a whim.

Let’s face it, we’re always going to confront challenges in our lives. We may only have one life to live, but if it consists of taking risks, then it makes it that more exciting. Instead of saying “should’ve” or “could’ve”, just do it. As the Rolling Stones said, “You can’t always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you’ll find you’ll get what you need.” I know I’m going to do just that.

About olivia-suarez

Hey I'm Olivia! I'm currently a senior at Mac. My favorite things include singing, reading, writing, dancing and learning! I'm the Editor-in-Chief of the student newspaper, Brahma Tales, NHS Parliamentarian, and a reporter/photographer for yearbook. I also attend Girls Bible Study and Younglife every week. I'm very outgoing and I love to be around everyone!

One thought on “Editor’s Note: Take Risks, Not Regrets

1. “But if you try sometimes… you’ll get what you need.” Words to live by. Well done Olivia.