Do New Security Measures Actually Keep Us Safer?

Edder Martinez, Staff Reporter

As the first month of the 2022-23 school year has passed, the effectiveness of new security measures has been called into question. 

Students all over the state of Texas and nation have become familiarized with the security protocols put in place by schools and corresponding districts. Doors have been looked, tardy students have been rounded up, and more staff is put on duty to look after closed doors.

Many of these measures serve as a stark reminder of a post-Columbine world. With a lack of new legislation and an increasing reliance on school officials to prevent shootings, the measures are essentially a bandaid over a growing mental health/gun culture issue in the United States.

The U.S.  stands out from all other developed nations in the world with the most gun related deaths per 100,000 people. According to a report made by Bloomberg, the U.S had approximately four gun related deaths per 100,000 people. This is far beyond the next developed nation on the list; Cyprus with approximately .6 deaths per 100,000.

Unlike other developed nations the U.S has never passed any major gun legislation after a mass shooting. Nations like the United Kingdom and Australia passed major gun laws banning and buying back most weapons. These nations have some of the lowest gun death rates, while gunshot wounds in the United States have become the leading cause of death amongst school-aged kids.

The country’s growing mental health crisis is another area of discussion in relation to school shootings. Gen Z is more likely to experience depression and loneliness than generations prior due to a plethora of reasons.

Students on this and other campuses do not see some of the new measures as positive changes. More students see these updated security measures as nuisances that lead to overcrowding and make traveling between buildings harder. Students nationwide are posting videos of overcrowded hallways and poking fun at the new policies.

On a campus as open and as old as LEE these measures make going between classrooms increasingly difficult. “I recently had surgery on my foot so I need to leave class early, however I can’t ever get back into buildings because the doors are all locked,” said Hanna Femmel (11). “It’s taking minor steps to solve a major problem. The problem with school security is the fact that gun violence is so prevalent because guns are so easy to get.” 

The public needs to hold local and federal politicians accountable for passing laws that ensure the safety of their citizens from gun violence. Arguments declaring gun legislation violates the second amendment only distracts from the increasing violence. The United States needs to follow the footsteps of other developed countries to help protect the mental health of students and provide accessible resources for all.