District Responds to Uvalde Shooting with Increased Security

Madison Munoz, Staff Reporter

With growing concerns over school shootings; parents, students, and teachers alike look to district officials for comfort and direction. 

An enthusiastic “welcome to the 22-23 school year” over the morning announcements is quickly followed by an extensive list of new safety and security measures. This greeting is the new reality for students on their first day back. 

Granted that school safety concerns have been developing since Sandy Hook, the recent shooting in Uvalde, TX sparked more and more questions about what can be done to protect students.

With Uvalde, the reliance on political figures and police officers to protect our kids has diminished. Now School districts are left to configure and implement a new normal, in a country where shootings are becoming increasingly prevalent. 

Entrances surrounding the perimeter are to remain locked at all times. Teachers are directed to keep their classroom door handles locked, so in the event of an emergency, no time is spent attempting to lock the door. 

“The biggest difference this year is the locking of the exterior doors, which came from the Texas school safety commission,” said Principal of LEE High School, David Crowe.

The doors are only accessible during passing periods. Though students in previous years may have found some doors locked throughout the school day, this protocol is unprecedented. 

Although it may feel like a nuisance for students who need to travel to a different building, or those who may be late, the district is forced to rely on preventative measures.

“Each campus is reviewing their needs, so it’s truly seven unique safety plans at the High School level,” said Crowe. 

The guidelines from the Texas School Safety commission are approached differently depending on the campus, however NEISD’s Standard Response Protocol for lockdowns, lockouts, and evacuations remain the same across the board.

NEISD encourages their communities to learn the protocols and procedures, and stay informed by either visiting the NEISD website and social media or monitoring emails for ongoing updates.