ISA Exchange Students Arrive

Ana Rodriguez Del Alamo, Staff Reporter

For the last ten days, German students from Frankfurt have been in San Antonio, staying with host families and attending classes to learn about the American school environment. In their time on campus they spent time with regular students from different grades, attending classes and activities with the ISA student from their host family. 

It is a complex and competitive process to be approved for a visit in the exchange program. They must complete an extensive application form and just twenty students are chosen to travel.

”I had to write a letter for my application about me and why I deserve to live this experience,” Luisa Moritz said. “I was really scared to not be accepted since there were fifty people for limited spots.”

Their daily schedules are with the students that is hosting them. Those same ISA students also went to Germany before spring break to attend classes with their German counterparts.

“It was such a great experience go to a German school, their school ends at 1 p.m., so we had time to explore after school,” Thea Selig (11) said. “Their school bathroom is so clean, I was impressed because it was the cleanest school bathroom I’ve ever seen.”

With such a short time in the U.S they’ve already realized the stark differences from the school environment that they are used to. 

“I like the relationship between the teachers and students,” Nile Tenbusch said. “The teachers get to know each student individually from their classes. In Germany we do not have any relationship with our teachers.” 

ISA principal, Mr. Steve Magadance is a strong supporter of the program. “I think you can not hate what you know,” Mr. Magadance said. “The fact that they are here benefits the students to explore and get to know something new, because that is what ISA is all about. I am so glad that every year we are able to host them and give them the opportunity to see the American system.”