Total Eclipse Coming Soon

Samantha Briano, Staff Reporter

On April 8 a solar eclipse will dim the skies across parts of Texas and much of San Antonio will be in the direct viewing path for the total solar eclipse. 

A solar eclipse occurs when the sun, moon and earth are lined up with the moon between the earth and the sun. The type of solar eclipse we can expect to see in some parts of Texas is that the moon will completely block the face of the sun, causing the sky to darken.

The best viewing opportunity will begin around 1:30 p.m. and fully totality will last approximately 4.5 minutes. 

According to a map from NASA, some of the best Texas cities for viewing the eclipse will be Bandera, Fredericksburg, and Eagle Pass, but the view from San Antonio will still be excellent

Several school districts in the San Antonio area have canceled school for April 8, but NEISD is not among them. Instead, many campuses, including ours, have made plans to allow students to view the eclipse during class time. Mr. Escamilla has even purchased eclipse glasses for all students and staff.

If you or your family are thinking of viewing the eclipse, here are some things you should know beforehand; First, and most importantly, protect your eyes. You should only watch the eclipse with an indirect observation method. Second even with eclipse glasses or another viewing device, you should not stare directly at the sun for an extended time.