Meet the Staff


Valentin Velazquez

Gretel Gutierrez Hidalgo



Alexandra McLaughlin ~ Design Editor

Madeline Moore

Ty Webb

Hannah Hinjosa

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

One comment

  1. Good morning Statesman,
    It’s nice to submit this article from the Class of ’82. This is a true story draft being submitted as screen play. We would like to hear you input on this.

    Pasted below is the text only version without photographs.
    The website link should pull up the Word Office Web link in Facebook.

    J. Keith Davis ’82 (210-845-9379)

    The Incredible Story of “Captain Churchill.”
    (Screen play draft of a Winston Churchill Charger Spirit Legend.)


    Captain Churchill (James Keith Davis ’82) returned to San Antonio in 1978 from Humble, TX. Reuniting with Coker Elementary classmates his freshman year suffered a horrific house fire destroying his family’s home in Hill Country Village. Not making the Winston Churchill Charger football cut for infamous coach head Jerry Colamander, he put up a scaling challenge to Northeast Independent School District by ensuring an unofficial claim of school spirit. Leading his former elementary football classmates Cody Carlson, Doug Hodo, Chris Lamers, Paul Pollard, Mike Wagner and the entire high school was a, never been done before, motorcycle dare devil idea of “Captain Churchill.” From 1979 to 1982 with increasingly school official confrontations, public mishaps, environmental extremes and female companion heartbreaks, he never missed a game throughout his 4 years. Embodied was a mission to have Winston Churchill (WC) become the best Spirit in high school history. The above picture portrays Senior Class ’82 Cheerleading Squad officially recruiting Captain Churchill to complete a ramp climbing, upon stage, pep rally performance cheer. An impulse response from coach Comalander followed with a Best Student Body Spirit speech.

    Using his dirt bike enduro skills on a Honda XL500, the mysterious, “guy on the motorcycle”, showed up with a British Union flag cape sewn onto his biker denim jacket and escorting the entire school bus convoy from campus to football game stadiums and back. Leading the returning convoy on the school bus’s main way would pull signature wheelies of victory (won or lost) the entire length of the cafeteria entrance. His sophomore runs became adopted by the Freshman Pep Squad as his sister led decoration scramble teams to prep the bike from hallway rally decor before pep rallies. Student body splinter spirit groups developed and school’s booster club intensified. Junior year enthusiasm flared with controversial camaraderie ‘”high fives” with Drill, Kick, and Band team members, slapping the spirit rider’s left hand while closely throttling up by convoy buses. This forced liability issues over school officials and enforcement negotiation meetings became common with Mr. Davis, Principle Mr. Everett and Northeast ISD.

    Assistant principals stood guard by ‘The Captain’ agreeing to not “blast” in front of the busses and only leave campus after the last vehicle departed. Furthering tempered debates was a night time victory wheelie incidence when fans and press unexpectedly flashed multiple cameras, momentarily blinding the rider. Near loss of control was saved following a quick, out of the way, jump off the main way and lead bus driver applying heart thumped sake of brake. Police officer pull over with “red light in front” charges from pep squad streamers over the head light became purposeful administrative confrontation. Despite obvious growing attendances and incredible, come from behind football team victories, Northeast ISD opposing pressures attempted “official display mandates” in making the WC Charger motorcycle jacket actually illegal at football games.

    The Spirit Rider’s defiance over political pressures continued on. Determined to display a fight for his school’s fighting honor. Then, after making his routine home modifications to pep squad’s, “papering of the bike”, there was the stunning Big Crash. While returning to campus for the convoy send off, Keith was rearward slammed by a car. As the caped rider was signaling on a congested right turn, an inpatient driver attempted to rapidly pass off the right shoulder grass on West Avenue. The blindside collision into the motorcycle literally tossed the Captain into a flying Charger with a helmet landing in front of oncoming traffic. Keith dodged off the road with minor injury scrapes. The damaged bike considered barely ride able.

    Amazingly, the Charger “Motorcycle Man”, managed to persevere his mission: To lead the greatest school Spirit in high school history. With broken and bent foot pegs, nearly sheared control levers, twisted front wheel forks, bent handle bars, busted signal lighting, dented up exhaust pipe, crack in the gas tank, and fire burning road rash on both hands, he managed ways to limp ride to campus before send off. Using pep squad duct tape, a small under the seat tool kit and shear muscle from classmates got the two wheeled icon ”legal” and somewhat ride able for a most treacherous run. Through an entire cold windy rain storm the “Guy with the Flag” maintained completion with the school convoy and football playoff victory to and from Austin, TX.

    From growing questions of, “Whom? What? Why?”, Keith allianced with school journalist, Gary Slinkard. Stating, “The football team is going to win with significant assistance from its entire student body. I want Churchill to have the best ’12th Man’ ever in high school history.” Perpetuated spirit resulted in “Rowdy” groups and enormous goal poster projects. Senior year the Churchill’s “Evil Knievel” debuted with a newly high modified bike, riding apparel and volunteered assurance with school’s administrators. The 1982 football season produced incredible winning and attendance records. Local TV station, channel 4 WOAI (formerly KMOL) geared up for the first time broadcast of the San Antonio City Championship between Churchill and former champion, Holmes High.

    Despite all difficulties, Davis never endangered the football convoy. Once assisted as road construction guard to alert the convoy of an upcoming detour. The “high fives” became no contacting “thumbs up” signals. The wheelies safely subdued to safe distance only criteria. And, the varsity cheerleaders recruited him for a major pep rally performance. Coach Comalander acknowledged a best student body spirit speech and The 1982 Winston Churchill Chargers won the nail biting ’82 City Championship in front of the largest record number of screaming viewers.

    During graduation ceremony, as Principle Everett handed his diploma, Keith threw off his black gown and revealed in up stretched fashion the wearing of his British flag motorcycle jacket. Everett smiles with chuckling “guard duty” assistant principals all shaking the graduate’s hand with a slap on the back, “Great job, Keith!” He departed the stage with an audience ovation and a truly completed mission. The Charger Spirit acclaimed entirely new levels of synergy that carried into following student bodies. This “computer programming hippie nerd” with a 3.9 GPA never missed a game. And, he never failed in leading the Charger convoy.

    James Keith ”Captain Churchill” Davis graduated from Texas A&M University in 1987 with an Electrical Engineering degree and aircraft pilot’s license. Currently resides in San Antonio, TX with 21+ years of product R&D activity. He still maintains his special helmet and notorious WC school flag jacket in perfect condition.


    In 1992 Mr. Davis returned to his 10-year reunion.
    During The Class of ‘82 banquet dinner he officially received the Best Spirit Award

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *