For the spring musical 2024, the WC Theater Department will be performing their adaptation of Tim Rice’s Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat on February 1, 2, and 3.
Due to this awaited event, we wanted to share some exciting and somewhat important information regarding its creator, Tim Rice. This might give you some background and insights before watching our amazing student-produced musical at our very own Naegelin Theater.
Before the ten interesting facts, here are some basic details regarding the renowned playwright: Timothy Miles Bindon Rice was born in England a year before the end of WW2, making him 79 years old.
- Tim Rice is actually Sir Tim Rice after Queen Elizabeth II knighted him in 1994.
- This year, his marriage turns half a century old.
- Maybe you know him as the lyricist and creator of Jesus Christ Super Star.
- You may also recognize some of his work with Disney, such as the songs for Aladdin and The Lion King.
- Sir Rice is one of eighteen artists who won an Emmy, Oscar, Grammy, and Tony.
- Naturally, he ought to have a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.
- It is also quite understandable when you realize he is the 21st-richest music millionaire in the UK.
- Due to his work as the lyricist for Jesus Christ Super Star, he has been accused of blasphemy multiple times throughout his career.
- From 1961 to 1963, he was the lead vocalist with a Pop group known as The Aardvarks, right before attending law school for a few years. (See? You don’t need to know what to do right away).
- If you would like to read an in-depth analysis of his life, he released an autobiography in 1998 titled Oh What a Circus: The Autobiography of Tim Rice.